In historic times, there were many things that humans were afraid of. All kinds of mythological creatures were created from the recesses of the human mind while we battled for food, shelter and our safety. Throughout time, as we evolved, and science progressed, we have dispelled many false notions and myths, and revealed more about the world around us. One notion that has been especially disproved, is that demons cause disease. We have since learned that the real culprit are the germs; the viruses and bacteria that cover almost every surface. The majority of these germs are completely harmless, but some can cause terrible illness. According to the NHS, common household germs can include
- MRSA (methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus): A strain of the common staphylococcus bacteria that is resistant to many commonly used antibiotics, making it very difficult to treat once.
- E. coli 0157: A strain of e coli that is much more dangerous than the common E. coli bacterium.
- Norovirus: Also referred to as the winter vomiting bug, and one of the most common form of infectious gastroenteritis.
- Clostridium difficile: This bacterium resides in the gut and causes inflammation of the colon, leading to diarrhea, severe abdominal pain, ulceration and bleeding of the colon, and at worst, perforation of the intestine leading to peritonitis. Clostridium difficile typically does not affect healthy adults, and can reside in the gut without problems, but can appear after use of antibiotics, which kill off the good bacteria keeping clostridium difficile in check.
These germs are commonly brought into the home from outside sources, and from then on can spread from person to person or person to surface. It is important for your health and your family’s that your home is being properly cleaned to prevent the spread of these dangerous microbes. When it comes down to it, you might think that obsessive cleaning is the best option to prevent any bacteria from invading your home, but the real protection comes from knowing the areas that are most likely to spread germs. Professional cleaners know that hands are the most common spreader of germs in your home, and that cleaning the spots and surfaces that your hands come in contact with the most will result in a much healthier home.
House cleaning is a hassle. Daily chores can take up hours of your time, amounting to almost twenty hours over the course of the week according to these surveys. And this is just an average. Some people can spend up to nearly 40 hours a week just keeping their home clean and germ-free! That’s an entire work week’s’ worth of wiping counters, dusting windowsills, and taking out the trash.
Some homeowners may claim they enjoy their chores, but most of the time, we could all do without them. As a nation, we are busier people in our working lives and in our families. To spend 20-40 hours a week just to keep harmful bacteria out of your home can seem intimidating. When you add up all the time you spend cleaning and wonder if your time could be better spent, consider a professional cleaning service. This handy calculator can tell you how much your time is really worth, and you may be surprised to find that despite the costs of a professional cleaning service, you might end out on top with the extra time you have available for other activities and work endeavors.
Importance of hygiene and sanitation
We all know the importance of hygiene and sanitation for ourselves and our families, but the importance doesn’t stop there. It’s also important for our friends, our guests, and our pets. Beyond that, we can take any of the germs and bacteria we bring into our home back out with us.
While it’s impossible to eradicate all traces of bacteria and germs, it’s natural to want to minimize the spread of them to others. Some individuals may even have immune disorders that make it more difficult to fight off infections and illnesses caused by these viruses and germs.
Professionals know all the secrets
You trust police officers to protect you, financial advisers to know how to make the best investments, and plumbers to fix your homes water and sewage systems. Why should it be any different when it comes to the care of your home? Professional cleaning technicians are knowledgeable about all the different surfaces in a home, and the best way to take care of them and eliminate nasty germs.
Professional cleaning technicians make caring for and cleaning homes their life’s work, and as such, know many of secrets you’ve never heard of. Some housekeeping tips shared by professionals include using a white vinegar and water mixture as a cleaning solution, cleaning the bathrooms last to minimize bacterial transfer, and clearing the clutter first to provide a better work area.
These are just some of the cleaning tips that these workers learn along their career path. All the quirks and hidden secrets that come along with caring for a home are discovered by them just the same as each person learns the little details that make them good at their chosen profession.
Proper cleaning technique involves minimizing the spread of germs. When you mop, wipe down a surface, or clean anywhere else using wet cleaning equipment, bacteria can live on that equipment if it is not properly sanitized between uses. When you move on to the next surface, bacteria is spread through the very cloth you are using to clean the surface. Sanitizing the equipment as you move is absolutely necessary, as bacterium spread quickly, and can easily grow from a single cell to more than six million in simply eight hours.
Professional cleaning technicians are very knowledgeable about controlling the spread of germs. When one of these experts cleans your home, they utilize proper techniques in order to sanitize their equipment and prevent germs in your home from spreading. Such techniques involve:
- Using two separate buckets while mopping. One will store water for rinsing, and the other will store detergents. These buckets will be properly sanitized and stored after each use
- Reusable cloths and sponges are disinfected after every use, and supplemented with disposable cloths and paper towels. Disposables come in handy for surfaces that may result in bacteria clinging to a reusable cloth even after being properly sanitized.
- Properly disinfecting the lavatory seat, handle, and rim, as well as cleaning the U-bend and bowel and preventing the buildup of any limescale.
- Ensuring food preparation areas in the kitchen are properly disinfected to prevent spread of any bacteria through uncooked foods.
There are many areas of your home that you might have never thought needed a proper cleaning. While most bacteria are transferred through surfaces that are constantly in contact with hands, there is no telling what kinds of bacteria might lurk in the corners of your home. If a dangerous bacterium has made its way to one of these areas, it’s just a matter of time before someone in your household eventually comes in contact with that seldom used area.
When you hire a professional cleaning service, their cleaning technicians have a checklist detailing every spot that will be cleaned, from polishing and cleaning the faucet and handles of your sink, to dusting the top and bottom of your windowsill. Depending on the type of cleaning service you decide on, such areas may include
- Handwashing blinds and shutters
- Dusting table and wall accesories
- Cleaning small canisters, tabletops, and kitchen appliances
- Washing the top of the washer / dryer
- Cleaning the outside of refrigerator / freezer, including the top and the often used handle
- Disinfecting and sanitizing your vanity top and vanity accessories
- Shine toilet tissue holders
The type of thorough cleaning you get through a professional cleaning service is unmatched. If you opt for a top-to-bottom cleaning, you might be hard-pressed to find a single germ left in your home! Eliminating all the possible germs that could be hiding in the areas that are infrequently cleaned is the first step to a healthy, happy home.
Don’t let germs and bacteria win. Call Misty Clean!
Many homeowners these days don’t have time to clean as thoroughly as they should. That’s where Misty Clean comes in. Offering professional, quality cleaning services to the Anne Arundel, Howard County, and Baltimore County and city areas, you’re bound to be impressed by our experienced technicians. With Misty Clean, you’re getting only the best!
We offer both general and deluxe cleaning services, as well as one-time and seasonal cleanings. With countless testimonials and a wonderful reputation, you know you’re in good hands with our knowledgeable cleaning technicians. Misty Clean has over 15 years of experience in keeping homes spotless, because you and your family’s health and well-being matter to us.
For more information about our services, or if you have any questions about house cleaning services or spring cleaning, please give us a call at: 410-255-4111.
You can also visit our website for a no-obligation estimate request on your cleaning services!
For weekly cleaning tips and news in residential cleanliness, keep up with our blog or follow and like us on social media: Facebook, G+, and Pinterest.