With the summer gone and all but a distant memory, it is time to prepare for autumn. The evenings will become longer, the temperature will drop, and the leaves will burst into a beautiful display of vibrant colors. You might be ready for the comfort that these cozy months provide, but is your home? Discover eight ways to prepare your home for the upcoming season.
- Clean out those gutters. It’s a horrible job but has to be done. By clearing them of leaves and grime, you can prevent a leak or backup from occurring this fall.
- Purchase energy efficient bulbs. With the extended evenings of summer, bulb usage is dramatically increased, so prepare for the added usage of your bulbs by investing in energy efficient bulbs.
- Check your furnace. This should be made a priority- checking on your furnace before the temperatures drop so that it’s ready to run this fall. If it’s having issues getting started, you might just need to replace the filters.
- Inspect cracks and drafts. You don’t want your house to be leaking heat so immediately seal any cracks or drafts before they become an issue, saving you money in the long run on your heating bill.
- Pipe inspection. Freezing temperatures might not roll in until winter, but you might as well prepare your pipes while it’s still moderately warm out.
- Seal your driveway. Get a contractor to seal your driveway in preparation for the excess rainfall and frost. Left unsealed, water can seep into your driveway which can freeze causing cracks.
- Reverse your ceiling fans. When reversed the fan will produce an updraft and push heated air down into the room from the ceiling.
Inspect Your Roof
Look for damaged, loose, or missing shingles that may leak during fall showers or from melting frost. If your roof is flat and surfaced with asphalt and pebbles, as many are, simply rake or blow off fall leaves and pine needles, which hold moisture. If you need any shingles replaced simply call a professional, as that could become troublesome in adverse weather conditions.
House Cleaning from Misty Clean
If your home is looking a little less than tidy, Misty Clean can help! We offer professional cleaning services throughout the Anne Arundel area, Howard County, downtown Baltimore, and Baltimore County. We are happy to provide you with a great one-time cleaning, stop by once or twice a week, or just swing by in the spring and fall to clean up your home. We have a great deal of expertise in cleaning homes and businesses, so trust us with restoring your home to rights. If you are ready to get your home Misty Clean, give us a call at (410) 255-4111 or visit us online. For more cleaning tips and tricks, follow us on Facebook, Google+, and Pinterest.